Did you know that Credit Unions in Canada were responsible for:
- First loans based on borrower character.
- First payroll deduction service for deposits and loan payments.
- First open mortgages.
- First financial institutions to lend to women in their own names (in the 1960s if you can believe that).
- First to offer daily interest savings.
- First full-service ATM network.
- First home equity lines of credit.
- First debit card service.
- First registered education plans.
- First fully functional internet banking.
- First branchless bank (Citizens Bank).
- First cheque imaging service.
Every time I go in, it reminds me of an episode from “Cheers”, where everybody knows my name! 🙂